Click here to enlarge
Cuisine Style: Tamilnadu, Cooking Time: 30 minutes, To Serve: 4, Take with: rice,
Type: Lunch Gravy
- Tamarind-1/2 lime sized ball
- Toor Dal -1 cup
- Turmeric Powder-1/2 tsp
- Small dry red chilies - 5
- Small onions- 5
- Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida -1/4 tsp
- Tomato- 1 Big
- 1 cup of a vegetable of your choice like green beans, chopped carrot
- Curry Leaves
- Oil-2 tsp
- Salt to taste
To be ground
- Bangalgram Dal – 2tbs
- Coriander seed– 2tbs
- Urd Dal– 2tbs
- Dry Red chilli– 2tbs
- Cocoanut piece-1
- Roast and grind into course. Keep it aside.
- Choose a heavy cooking pot.
- Wash and clean the Dal.
- Boil 2 cups of water and add the Dal, turmeric powder and 1 teaspoon of oil.
As the Dal boils, skim off the foam and discard.
- Boil until the Dal is soft and then mash it coarsely.
- If needed, add more water as it is boiling but do not let it get too watery. If you use a pressure cooker it will take about 5 minutes.
- In a pan heat the oil and pop mustard.
- Add the chopped onions and fry till it turns golden brown.
- Add green Chillis and fry for one minute.
- Then add chopped tomatoes, vegetables.
- Now add turmeric powder, Asafoetida, curry leave, salt and ground mixture
Boil until raw smell goes off. Put some coriander leaves once it is cooked. It adds extra taste and smell.
- Serve with rice
- Sambar can be prepared without vegetables.
- appadam is the best side dish.
How this Sambar receipe is unique?
- Instead of sambar powder fresh ground ingredients used.